Punjabi dal is a staple in North Indian cuisine. It is a simple, yet flavorful dish made with yellow lentils, spices, and herbs. This dish can be made as mild or as spicy as you like, and is often served with rice or roti. In this blog post, we will show you how to make Punjabi dal at home. We will also give you some tips on how to make it more flavorful, so that you can enjoy this delicious dish any time you crave it.
What is Panjabi dal?
Dal is a staple dish in Indian cuisine, and there are many different variations of it. Punjabi dal is a Lentil soup that is popular in the Punjab region of India. It is made with yellow Lentils, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and a variety of spices. This dish is usually served with rice or roti (Indian bread).
When it comes to dal, there are endless possibilities. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you like, and the results are always delicious. Here are some of our favorite dal recipes, perfect for a cozy night in or a special occasion.
- 1 cup dried yellow lentils, washed and drained
- 2 cups water or veggie broth, plus more as needed
- 1 tsp ground turmeric (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (optional)
Spices: 1 tsp whole cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp whole brown mustard seeds, 3–4 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated (optional), 1 small red onion, finely chopped (optional) & 1/8–1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional) or other chili powder (optional), to taste. These aren’t essential but they do make a big difference in flavor! I love using them all but you can use any combination that you like or have on hand. If you don’t have any of these spices on hand, just omit them. The dal will still be delicious! You could also add a pinch of garam masala at the end for extra flavor.
Tadka (tempering): 1–2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil, 1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds & Pinch of asafoetida powder (optional but recommended)
Optional toppings: Chopped fresh cilantro, diced avocado, diced tomatoes, vegan yogurt or coconut yogurt and/or freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Add the lentils to a medium pot with 2 cups of water or veggie broth. If using turmeric, add it now too. Bring to a boil over high heat then lower to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until the lentils are very soft and falling apart. You may need to add more water or broth during cooking if the mixture starts to get too dry. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste (optional).
- While the lentils are cooking, prepare your spices by heating a small pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds and toast for 1–2 minutes until fragrant. Remove from the heat and transfer to a small bowl. Add the garlic, onion (if using) and cayenne pepper (if using) and set aside.
- Once the lentils are cooked, use an immersion blender to blend the mixture until it’s mostly smooth with some chunks remaining. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can transfer the mixture to a regular blender and blend until smooth then return it to the pot.
- Add the prepared spices to the pot and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. I usually add a bit more salt at this point but it’s up to you.
- To make the tadka, heat a small pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the ghee or coconut oil, cumin seeds and asafoetida powder (if using). Toast for 1–2 minutes until fragrant then immediately pour over the dal and stir to combine.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Starting with something simple, this recipe for tarka dal is full of flavor and can be on the table in just 30 minutes. If you’re feeling a bit more adventurous, try your hand at making chana dal – a hearty dish that’s packed with protein and perfect for vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. Or, if you’re looking for something truly indulgent, our dal makhani recipe features black lentils simmered in a rich tomato and cream sauce – it’s definitely worth the extra effort!
Whichever recipe you choose, we guarantee that your dal will be delicious. So what are you waiting for? Get cooking!
How to make Punjabi dal at home
If you love Indian food, then you’ll definitely want to learn how to make punjabi dal at home. This delicious dish is made with lentils and is full of flavor. Plus, it’s relatively easy to make, so you can enjoy a homemade meal without all the fuss.
To make punjabi dal, start by cooking the lentils in boiling water for about 15 minutes. Then, add the spices and cook for another 5 minutes. Finally, add the chopped tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes. Serve hot with rice or naan bread. Enjoy!
Making Punjabi dal at home is easy and can be done in just a few simple steps. All you need is some basic ingredients and a little bit of time. This dish is perfect for those who are looking for a hearty and filling meal that is also healthy and nutritious. Give it a try the next time you are looking for something new to cook!
For more tips about Catering service and recipe click on Best Catering Services in Vadodara